Friday, May 19, 2017

The Great ColourPop Experiment

Last year, I discovered the magic that was Kat Von D's Everlasting Liquid Lipstick and my life was changed. It happened, like most things in my life, because of Broadway. I found out that Jasmine Cephas Jones used "Outlaw" for her role as Maria Reynolds in Hamilton and immediately had to acquire this magic because I had been dying over it for MONTHS. 

(Related: If anyone knows what lip shade/brand Jessie Mueller was wearing for her Waitress performance in the Tonys last year, PLEASE FIND ME BECAUSE I NEED TO KNOW AND THE INTERNET HASN'T HELPED ME YET.)

Anyway, so yes, Outlaw became my signature red (and I LIVE for red lipstick). The only thing I don't love about it is that it isn't really everlasting; I can't drink when I'm wearing it and it gets all over everything and the fact that it's decently drying. What a bummer. 

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when ColourPop had a sale where their lip products were $4 each. I had inherited a few Lippie Sticks from them when one of my friends ridded out her makeup stash (shout-out to Emily for the endless supply of products that I will forever receive with gladness) and I liked the feel and the shades that they had, so I was totally down to spend $4 on a few good shades. 

I got a pink, a red (more on this later), a black (WHICH I HAD NEEDED AND I LOVE SO MUCH), and a primer. 

I wasn't in the habit of using lip primer, but let me tell you, it was simply magic. I tried it along with one of my new lip paints and was amazed at the staying power. My lipstick did not budge and did not dry. And it was MATTE. Glorious. 

This prompted an experiment. 

What if I tried the primer with my Kat Von D? Would it work? There was only one way to find out. 



So I went about my day and if you think that lipstick is going to keep me from eating tasty things, you are out of your mind. It was a normal day. I ate lunch per usual, drank coffee, and drank water. I didn't have high expectations, but I did a couple check-ins with a mirror front-facing selfie cam throughout the day and was surprisingly okay. 

The end of day test was amazing. 

There was fading on the inside of my lips, but the outside looked fine. A little duller, but still true to color. The dryness was still there, but it was more manageable. There was a moisture barrier if you will. I didn't feel like I could literally reach up and peel off the lipstick. 

It was great. 

The primer's become a daily staple and I'm super pleased with it. It works better with some lipsticks and paints than others, but overall, I like it. 


As an added bonus, I did a swatch test with the red lip color. In the picture below, the top swatch is ColourPop and the bottom is Kat Von D. They're almost exact duplicates with a $16 price difference. I am sold. 

So yes. ColourPop. They always have sales. Their colors are on point. And their primer is literally magic. What else could you want for $4?

No comments:

Post a Comment