Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Halo Top Ice Cream

Let’s establish a few simple truths.

1.     Ice Cream is, by nature, delicious. It has to be. It is in its nature. It is required to be a tasty treat.
2.     Health food is not delicious. I don’t want to hear arguments. If you’re going to argue with me about this, kindly stuff your face with some kale before ultimately finding a pint of some ice cream so that you can live your life as our lord and savior Jesus Christ intended it.
3.     HEY! Did someone say PINT OF ICE CREAM?

That’s right! Who among us hasn’t come home from a long day and binged on a pint of brownie batter ice cream while watching standup comedians on Netflix?

Just me? Cool.

Well, trust me on this. Pints of ice cream are a delight until you get to the bottom of the container and realize that you’ve consumed upwards of 1.5 billion calories. Nothing ruins the bliss of ice cream like checking the nutritional facts on the side of the container.

Add this to the fact that I’ve started watching my caloric/sugar/etc intake because 1.) I want to be healthy and 2.) I need to fit into a super cute bridesmaid dress in December and you’ve got yourself a quick and easy recipe for ultimate self-loathing for one. (Note: Don’t loathe yourself for real. You’re beautiful and your body is a treasure. Don’t hate it. Shame on you. But not body shaming. This is a safe place.)

More fun facts, I was a vegetarian for five years and was pretty careful with my protein during that time frame. When you’re a vegetarian, you expect that you’re going to have a protein deficiency and you find ways to compensate. But after switching back, I just assumed that chicken nuggets were a decent source of protein and didn’t give it another thought. Once I started tracking my food, I noticed that I was eating waaaay under my protein goal and needed to find tasty ways to supplement.

Enter Halo Top.


I learned about Halo Top from an Instagram ad and it seemed too good to be true. But I was having a rough day and needed some ice cream in a big way, so I figured I would at least price it and find out.

The site has a handy locator so you can see if your store carries it, and it probably does. It’s just in that section with chia seeds and non-dairy ice cream (which is an abomination). The ice cream is priced comparably with Ben & Jerry’s, maybe a dollar or so higher if anything, but if you use Ibotta for your purchases, they offer a handy rebate that will offset that nicely. Plus, like you’ll find out if you search on social media, each pint (not serving, PINT) has 280 calories or fewer and at least 24 grams of protein. Note, this is as of October 5, when I’m writing this. I say this because the company has been teasing new flavors on social media this week and I can’t confirm protein/calorie counts yet.

But how does it taste? I was super skeptical about this. I mean, low cal ice cream? This has to be a cheap scam, right?

Wrong. It’s so tasty. It’s so, so tasty. I want to eat it forever. And it’s healthy enough that I can log it in MyFitnessPal without it yelling at me. In fact, all it does is praise my high-protein choice. Score!

I bought two flavors, mint chip and lemon cake. Lemon cake is a clean, soft flavor that is my new favor. Mint chip is similarly tasty, but admittedly not the most flavorful of mint chocolate chip ice creams that I’ve had (which is a hefty number). My goal is to taste test more of the flavors, but those are the only two I’ve got my hands on so far.

Final analysis: You need to try this at least once. Use Ibotta. Find a coupon. Do something. Just try this ice cream.


It’s tasty. It’s low cal. It’s high in protein. What more could you want in an ice cream?

No comments:

Post a Comment